Monday, August 27, 2012

Wedding!!!! (From my perspective)

What is wrong with me!?!?!!?
After all of the amazing wedding shots that I could have had, I ended up with nada (minus the photo booth pics and the iphone pic Ryan got).
In my defense I was running around with my head cut off, but I still can't believe I don't have a picture to share... so, sorry about that!

So I am going to back up to the week previous to the wedding. It was so much fun and so busy. I stayed with Haydee for the first few days. Every morning I woke up at 6 am, darn jet leg, and worked on her wedding cake. During the day, we ran errands for the wedding and ran more errands:) We also enjoyed some yummy curry at her Bishop's home, one evening. We also spent one of the days with my Mother's Aunt, Laverne, and her family. It was nice to have everybody together. Another day we went to the Del Mar Race Tracks. How fun!! I don't bet, but would pick a horse I thought would come in first, second, or third. Out of the eight races, I think my horse won a good five of them!

The evening of the race tracks, the Cifuentes clan headed over to Nate's Mom's house. She was kind enough to make some amazing spaghetti and caesar salad. It was also nice to get to know Haydee's new in-laws. They are some great people. I am very excited for Haydee!

That same night was when Ryan and Easton finally rolled in. It was a bit of a long day for them. Starting at 3 am, they got on a shuttle to head to the Mexico City airport. Then at 8 am were ready to check in. Ops, Ryan realized that his passport was expired... crap. So, he marched over to the US embassy and miraculously was granted a temporary passport within two hours. Thank Heavens! Then for the tickets... Ryan found a flight leaving Friday, but didn't want to wait. After a bit of searching on my Dad's part they found one departing that same day. Finally at about 10 pm, Ryan and Easton pulled up to the San Diego home. I couldn't and still can't believe that it all worked out!

The next morning we laid low and the boys took morning naps. Then we were off to Disneyland! I crave going back and spending multiple days there with Ryan and Easton! It was a bit hectic in the beginning, but fell into a very happy, enjoyable time. Easton, was of course, very entertained and content.

Finally, the wedding fun started Friday with a rehearsal and rehearsal lunch. It was so blimey hot!! We sat in 100+ heat under the sun as we figured out how everything was going down the next day. Despite the heat we got to see our other relatives, friends, and meet more of Nate's family. Basically more lovely people.

The venue was in a Californian canyon out in Malibu. The hills were incredibly beautiful. The view was just perfect. The venue was called a ranch, but was mostly rolling hills of vineyard, very beautiful.

That evening I continued to hack away at the cake. I was losing momentum as I was completely exhausted. I managed to hit the bed by 12:30, somewhat satisfied with the progress I had made. It included finishing the third chocolate cake. As well as cutting and frosting the Strawberry Vanilla and the Lemon Poppyseed. All in all, I was pooped. In the morning, it was a 6 am wake up call. I hauled over the next 5 hours and finally had the finished product, minutes before I was supposed to fly out the door to meet up with the other bridesmaids for makeup and hair. I think I was so excited that I barely realized that I was running on fumes. That morning had started out with tunnel vision and had a moment of dry heaving. Weird. I have never reacted so dramatically over stress. Usually it is just insomnia. Anyways, I think I was so stressed because I was DETERMINED to make this cake look nice for my sister's wedding. Baking in a small, I mean tiny, kitchen in the vacation rental with nine other people was not exactly ideal. I wasn't in the mood to make shift baking with limited kitchen resources, but what can you do. In the end it all worked out.

Anyways, past the cake (this was a big deal for me that week), I made it to the venue. (Thanks Jake for driving me the hour drive.) I felt like I walked into the room kinda hyper, but put on those brakes when I felt and saw nice cool air, yummy sandwhiches and fruit (the first meal in 24 hours and only the second meal within 48 hours!), cheerful sisters, comfy robes. Ahhhhh, is all I can say.
I felt like a model after the maku-up artist fixed me up. Seriously, not even a hint of bags under the eyes. She was A-mazing. Best make-up job I have ever had!! Then onto the hair and then of course watching my beautiful sister getting dolled up for her ceremony. Haydee was breathtaking. obviously. but seriously, how did so many of those genes skip me out!:) She was very much at ease as well. A bit surprising considering all that was going on prior to. When I had walked into the small bathroom where she was getting ready, there was also a make-up artist and two videographers contorting themselves to fit in the tiny space. I CAN NOT wait to see how the video turns out!

Then, after some new shenanigans with a serious car-crash-based-traffic-jam, the guests started to arrive. My poor father and hubby and baby and uncle and nephew and... okay you get the picture... sat in traffic for four hours!!!! awesome. Thankfully everybody else had to go through the same thing and in the end the ceremony started a bit late. It ended up being SUCH a blessing in disguise. With everybody coming in late, the ceremony started perfectly at sundown. The temperature must have easily dropped from the 100s down to the 80s. I gentle breeze ran through and then from the top of the hill stood my sister with the sun shining behind her. Angelic. Seriously angelic. It was such a beautiful sight. Of course, that was when I lost it. She walked down with my father and took her place to do the deed:) They exchanged darling vows and heard some sweet words from the bishop before he pronounced them man and wife.

Ryan and Martin ran the Easton and Calvin back to the hotel where the babysitter waited. Remember that traffic? well running was more like a snails pace. They didn't make it back till after the the entry, the first dance, the toasts, and the food. Nope they didn't make it back till 10 pm. The wedding ended at 11. Poor guys. My sis, Lil, and I made our men plates and then tried to get some good dancing and mingling in before the couple cut the cake. After the cake was cut and served. We enjoyed a few more dances and then were off to pick of the babies. We rolled into bed that night and then hopped out of it early the next morning to catch our flight.
and TaDa that was the wedding. (it only took me two weeks to get this written! sorry)

THE cake! :)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Hannah,
    The cake was STUNNING my love, and it tasted like heaven. So many people came to me about how good it all was. I got to have the lemon poppy seed and mmmm mmm mmmmmm! Thank you for all of your work and help that week and day. You were an amazing MOH!! I love you!!!!!!